What topics can I ask about here?
Server Fault is a site for system and network administrators needing expert answers related to managing computer systems in a professional capacity.
If your question is about…
- Server and Workstation operating systems, hardware, and software.
- Business/Enterprise grade virtualization
- Enterprise storage, backup, and disaster recovery
- Network routing, switches, and firewalls
- Operations, maintenance, and monitoring
and it is not about…
- Anything in a home or development environment
- Product, service, or learning material recommendations
- Career, salary, personnel, employment, or formal education
- Licensing, legal advice, and circumvention of security or policy
- Unauthorized hacking, password cracking, or system misuse
…then you’re in the right place to ask your question!
We also have sister sites that cover specific topics in more detail:
- Stack Overflow for Programming
- Super User for general Networking, Hardware, and Technology
- Unix & Linux for general Unix/Linux usage
- DBA for Advanced Database topics
- IT Security for Advanced Security (implementation, theory, white hat)
- Webmasters for general Web Site operation
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Server Fault, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?"