Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What kind of cable shuold I use to connect two routers, straight or crossover?

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Unless the ports are auto-sensing, the receive pins must match up with the transmit pins and this will require a crossover cable.

share|improve this answer

The rule of thumb is: when connecting similar devices (router to router, computer to computer) use a crossover cable. When connecting dissimilar devices (router to switch, computer to switch) use a straight through cable.

Of course Auto-MDIX and designated uplink ports can make this a moot point, and can make it confusing at times.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.