Take the 2-minute tour ×
Server Fault is a question and answer site for professional system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I restored my Dell M4400 that is a company laptop, and now I get an error when I try to log on and am connected to our corporate network, which says that the domain controller could not be found or that the computer is not part of the domain. Everyone else can log on, so it seems my computer is no longer part of the domain, even though it thinks it is per the settings.

One thing of note: my computer crashed on 1/14/10, but I restored from a backup that was made on 12/20/09. So I am not sure if that made a difference? Also, I tried running "gpupdate" to update my group policy, but that did not seem to help.

Any ideas? Seems like a bit of a flaw in the backup system for computers that are part of a domain. I guess I wanted to hear from someone with more knowledge about how a computer is recognized as part of a domain to know if this should be expected when doing a restore or if I should file a trouble ticket.

share

migration rejected from stackoverflow.com Jul 6 '13 at 18:23

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers. Votes, comments, and answers are locked due to the question being closed here, but it may be eligible for editing and reopening on the site where it originated.

closed as off-topic by Falcon Momot, MDMarra, Bryan, Scott Pack, Dennis Kaarsemaker Jul 6 '13 at 18:23

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions about hardware or software used in a home setting are off-topic because they require answers that may not be practical for the business and support professionals here. You should try asking on Super User instead." – MDMarra, Bryan, Scott Pack
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1  
This question appears to be off-topic because it is about a problem which would best be resolved by a call to IT support. –  Falcon Momot Jul 5 '13 at 23:18

1 Answer 1

This is most likely due to the computer's domain account having had its password changed in the interval between the backup and the restore. If I recall correctly, Windows machines normally change their domain account password approximately every 30 days, so there's about an 83% chance that a password change happened between backup and restore. The problem can be corrected by having a domain administrator re-add the computer to the domain.

share