Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently got an i5 processor on an ASUS P7P55D LE motherboard to act as a cheap server only to realise that there are no windows 2003 drivers for the chipset and network. I haven't tried yet but can I install the XP drivers onto a 2003 machine and hope for it to work? Or should I go down the ubuntu virtualisation route?

If so, would I expect any performance issues with virtualisation of Win2K3?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I've installed heaps of XP drivers in Server 2003 and I'm yet to have any issues

share|improve this answer
awesome! 15char – atomicharri Jan 20 '10 at 6:34
any specific way of installing tho? or just run the regular installers? i've been reading up and have seen people swapping out cab files and whatnot – atomicharri Jan 20 '10 at 6:35
90% of the time normally, the other 10% it's cos of a touchy installer, so I extract the files and update/install the driver through the device manager. – Mark Henderson Jan 20 '10 at 10:57

Often enough you can just run the installers normally, however sometimes you might need to run them in compatibility mode!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.