I had a Fedora box running using my static IP 184.108.40.206, etc, all configured according to what the ISP required. Just recently the hard drive failed (and I should have been keeping better backups) - while it is being recovered I would like to put up a webpage on my Archlinux PC explaining the problem - I presently do not have sufficient access to change the DNS record assigned to the domain.
When I change my ip address while my system is running to 220.127.116.11, ifconfig reports the new ip address, but http://whatismyip.com/ does not. When I change it and reboot, I can't ping - the message I recieve is "
connect: Network is unreachable" (when given one of google.com 's IP addresses - hostnames give me
ping: unknown host xxx). Until I have access to the DNS system, what can I do to make this work?
Edit: With new IP address, same problem, IP is now 18.104.22.168. Some commands might be useful:
#ping 22.214.171.124 PING 126.96.36.199 (188.8.131.52) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from 184.108.40.206: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.377 ms #ping 220.127.116.11 connect: Network is unreachable #ping 18.104.22.168 connect: Network is unreachable #ifconfig eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:4D:97:23:9B inet addr:22.214.171.124 Bcast:126.96.36.199 Mask:255.255.254.0 inet6 addr: fe80::2e0:4dff:fe97:239b/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:132091 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:17 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:9635179 (9.1 Mb) TX bytes:1322 (1.2 Kb) Interrupt:29 Base address:0x6000 lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1 RX packets:48 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:48 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:2480 (2.4 Kb) TX bytes:2480 (2.4 Kb) #ip route 188.8.131.52/23 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 184.108.40.206 #cat /etc/resolv.conf # Generated by dhcpcd #nameserver 220.127.116.11 #nameserver 18.104.22.168 nameserver 22.214.171.124 nameserver 126.96.36.199 # /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line
Update: have new static IP addresses, verified to work in Windows... Relevant portions of /etc/rc.conf below:
#Static IP example #eth0="eth0 188.8.131.52 netmask 255.255.254.0 broadcast 184.108.40.206" #eth0="eth0 220.127.116.11 netmask 255.255.254.0 broadcast 18.104.22.168" eth0="eth0 22.214.171.124 netmask 255.255.254.0 broadcast 126.96.36.199" #eth0="dhcp" INTERFACES=(eth0) # Routes to start at boot-up (in this order) # Declare each route then list in ROUTES # - prefix an entry in ROUTES with a ! to disable it # #gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1" gateway="default gw 188.8.131.52" #gateway="184.108.40.206" ROUTES=(!gateway) #ROUTES=()