I would like to search files in my lan easily. (over 500k files on SMB shares, it would take ages with other ways)
I mean, i just need to do a quick search on file names, i don't care content indexing at all, as most of my files are in a proprietary format, and the file name is explicative enough. But, date range filters are a must for me.
I just need a quick search like voidtools' everything can do, but in a network way
The files are on a WHS box (lol, Videos and Music share names are not appropriate for a company, but a license for that win2003-based os is cheaper than an xp home one!)
- Lansearch pro: it is not good for me, as i need a quick index
- Network Search Engine: it would be perfect, but does not offer a date range filter
- Microsoft Search Server 2008 Express, but it is horrible! First, does NOT index filenames, and then, my Core2Duo is not powerful enough to run it smoothly.
- Google Desktop with a proxy on localhost to make it run on the lan, but i don't like the hacked result.
- The preinstalled Windows Search 4.0 but it sucks totally in choosing the relevance of data - uninstalled
- Docco... what's that?
I am considering to try:
- Ibm omnifind
- DocFetcher (can it work as a client? did not investigated yet)
- Strigi (it looks like that it can work as a client, right?)