I'm wanting to host a few websites from home, primarily because I'm using some BETA Microsoft software (.NET 4 and EF) and don't want to install it on my production server which is hosted at eukhost.com.
Basically, I'm completely new to this sort of thing. So far, here is what I've done:
- Registered the domain name at namecheap.com (let's call it mydomain.com)
- Gone to "Nameserver Registration" in the panel and entered my IP address for the NS1 and NS2 records (let's say the IP is 0.0.0.0).
- Gone to "Domain Name Server Setup" and entered ns1.mydomain.com & ns2.mydomain.com
- Forwarded requests from port 80 to my internal IP (let's say 192.168.1.254)
- Created the website in IIS (I'm just testing with a single website so far, so have not created any host header values)
Now, if I type in the IP address (http://0.0.0.0) I get the site as expected. However, if I enter http://www.mydomain.com I get an error saying "DNS Error - Cannot find server".
I'm aware that there is a service from DynDNS that will automatically change the IP if I have a dynamic address, however my IP has remained static since I installed the ISP (since October) so I don't need this.
Is there any way that I can get the DNS to work just by configuring IIS or something in Windows? I don't really want to have to pay for any 3rd party service.