Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a user with a typo'd name. For the sake of explanation, I'll say the username is lusername, first name Lindsay. Active Directory had the user initially named Lindsey Username, and I need it to be Lindsay Username. As you can tell this doesn't affect the actual login name of lusername.

If I go into Active Directory Users and Computers and search for lus, her name comes up.

I open the properties, and I can change the first name and display name fields, but I can't change the initial name at the top of the "general" tab.

Is there a way to "fix" this without resorting to recreating the user?

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Right click the user, select Rename.

First it will allow you to change the name of the user, then it will pop up a dialog box allowing you to change the Full Name, First Name, Last Name and Display Name fields.

alt text

share|improve this answer
Oh $DEITY I need a vacation. I can't believe that solution fell out of my brain this morning. – Bart Silverstrim Feb 1 '10 at 15:47
Took me a day to figure this out way back when I was first migrating to AD. – Richard Slater Feb 1 '10 at 15:49
Hopefully others will find the question useful at some point. I so should have already remembered this...*sigh* – Bart Silverstrim Feb 1 '10 at 16:05
If you are using an Exchange server, you probably want to make sure the "Exchange Email Addresses" Tab has the correct names as well. Specifically the X.400 entry. I know the username doesn't change here, but if it does, make sure to update the alias field in the "Exchange General" Tab as well. – minamhere Feb 1 '10 at 17:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.