We want to setup an internal office server for testing jobs (LAMP), email and samba. Only about 5-10 users. We are also considering starting to virtualize, initially by a base Ubuntu Server with Xen or VMWare Open Source server. Our current system runs with a Linux Raid which has worked great but it's always been complicated to recover the boot sector when one the drives fail and therefore I would prefer using now a hardware raid instead, but ideally with some kind of software monitoring. For this reason and considering we don't want to spend a fortune a I would appreciate any comments on the following options.
- Motherboard with RAID with linux support... which could you recommend.
- Motherboard + Hardware Raid card...
- Adaptec does not seem to have great Linux suppport.
- 3Ware seems to have a tc soft controller which we've used on a hosting company, but hard to find here in Spain.
- HP Proliant type basic server, which?
- Dell Small Servers... any good for Linux?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.