I have an instance of Apache2 installed on a Windows Server as part of Zend Server Community Edition (ZS CE) 4.0.6 and it began crashing multiple times a day after months of perfect operation and no changes to its sites or configuration. There seem to be few clues as to the problem.
- Windows Server 2003 SP2 virtual machine
- ZS CE 4.0.6 (full stack install: Apache2/MySQL/PHP 5.3)
- Internal application server (40-60 users)
- Runs two sites: custom ZF application (most of the trasffic) and an instance of MediaWiki
- The full ZSCE stack was originally installed on the main application server
- We began experiencing an unresponsive server. A simple Apache restart solved the problem. The server would never come back up by itself, so it wasn't a high load.
- At first it was once a day then it became a couple of times a day and then eventually almost hourly.
- We decided to move the ZSCE installation to its own virtual machine on the same box, because I was convinced it was a conflict with the backup software. Everything worked perfectly.
- The "crashes" are appearing again; starting off daily just like last time. I think they are happening earlier each day too. Today actually saw multiple "crashes" even with a preemptive restart midmorning.
- There is nothing in any of the Apache logs to suggest the problems
- I get a number of the following events in the application event log: 'Faulting application php-cgi.exe, version 22.214.171.124, faulting module php5.dll, version 126.96.36.199, fault address 0x0009d485'; they never seem to coincide with the problem.
- I added the following directives to the httpd.conf to solve a similar problem. Seems to have helped then.
- EnableMMAP off
- EnableSendfile off
- I don't think its user based because I am very familiar with their usage patterns and they vary very little from day to day; hence it should have been a problem before.
I really prefer using ZS to a custom stack build, but this problem is obviously a deal breaker. Any help is appreciated.