Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I plan to buy about 20-30 feet of Cat5e (or 6) cables. I have 30 mbits connection. I was looking around and the ones we are considering are 568B. I was looking for quality in my cables. Is this appropriate?

If they're no good, what should I be looking for?

share|improve this question
up vote 16 down vote accepted

568B is a termination standard and has nothing to do with the cable itself. 568A is an alternate termination standard and not as widely used. Both perform equally the thing is you need to choose one and stick to it at a particular instalation so as to avoid confusion later on.

share|improve this answer
Well put. In addition, it's useful to know that a crossover cable has one end wired by each standard. Not that crossover cables are needed that much any more - the vast majority of NICs out there support auto MDX. – EEAA Feb 6 '10 at 1:16
Thanks. It answered my question. – Alex Demers Feb 6 '10 at 2:44

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.