Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a piece of equipment that connects to a wireless network and provides ethernet ports to clients?

I have an existing wireless network, and I would like to plug a bunch of machines into a single switch that uses the wireless network as an uplink.

Is this possible, or is this a bad idea? The bandwidth utilization through this link should be negligible.

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

You can use a wireless ethernet bridge. One example is

share|improve this answer
Thanks! "Wireless ethernet bridge" was the term I was looking for. – Jim Hunziker Feb 9 '10 at 16:16

You can do it with commodity wireless router, set in a bridged mode. If the build-in firmware does not support this, you can try some of the opensource firmwares like dd-wrt, openwrt, tomato, etc. Check the hardware support list for these.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.