At my work, we use a linux box to store our source code and host our revision control software (svn). We also have some other products on there like "trac" for project management, fisheye and crucible for code reviews. If or when this box goes belly up, I would like to be able to keep all the services, software, user accounts, etc. up and running with near zero downtime. What solution am I looking for?
Some useful tips:
- Cost for the solution is not an issue. I would rather have a one time cost than a subscription though.
- I want minimal admin work for both maintaining the back up and restoring.
- The box is idle at night and on the weekends.
- We have another facility a couple of miles away but a relatively slow connection between the two buildings (faster at night though). I would like this restore option off site in case of fire, etc.
- I want the backup purchased, running, and ready before I ever call on it. Not "after crash, buy a new box, ..."
- The box is nothing fancy, just a standard desktop with ubuntu linux on it. Nothing we use it for is high performance.
Does anyone know of a solution for me? I am not well versed in anything linux or server related, so please give basic explanations with your answers.