I am trying to find a simple mail server with the following requirements:
- Preferably open source
- Spam blocking & anti-virus support
- Scalable to 1000's of mailboxes & domains
- An API that will allow administration(add/remove mailboxes) from .net platform
- Preferably windows or Linux
I have researched the following servers:
- Mail Enable - has the API I need and seems to scale okay, contains alot of overhead features I don't need (calendaring, tasks, contact manager, etc..) and its not open source.
- hMailserver - looks okay except they've recently changed the licensing to closed source, by browsing their user forums it seems to still have some bugs.
- Smartermail - seems like a nice product but expensive, and has lots of exchange server type features I don't need.
- Dovecot - after seeing dovecot recommended on this site numerous times I am thinking about running it on a Linux VM, however I couldn't see any information on an API for it.
Could you offer me some insight to the above 3 or recommend other alternatives ?