This is driving me crazy.
I have a virtualized W2K8 server running RRAS. Every other computer or server on the network can access the internet through the NAT except one.
On one server, it just won't work. I can ping the ip address of the NAT gateway just fine, and everything else works. (SMB, etc) DNS, which is hosted by the same server, also works just fine.
I have even reinstalled the OS on the problem server and it still doesn't work.
Recap of the steps I tried:
- There are 3 network cards in the server, I tried every one and different switch ports. Not a hardware problem.
- Reinstalled W2K8 R2 on server with the problem, didn't help.
- Tried the IP of the internet gateway directly - this did work (!). But I need NAT to work.
- All firewalls are disabled.
- Removed computer from domain, deleted computer membership in Active Directory Users and Computers and added it back.
- Disabled all other network adapters and set a static ip and specified the gateway ip manually.
When I tracert a public IP, the first hop (or any other hop) comes up as:
C:\>tracert www.google.com Tracing route to www.l.google.com [184.108.40.206] over a maximum of 30 hops: 1 * * * Request timed out. 2 * * * Request timed out.
From a different computer, on which NAT works, the first hop comes up as:
tracert www.google.com Tracing route to www.l.google.com [220.127.116.11] over a maximum of 30 hops: 1 <1 ms * <1 ms xxxx [10.5.1.1]
This is the most bizarre problem I ever came across, and I realize that it's a long shot asking it here given all the details, but I'm pulling my hair out. Maybe someone has an idea...