When servers need to have scheduled downtime at my workplace we follow a process roughly like the following:
- Propose time for work to take place on specific box/s
- Lookup list of stakeholders for specific box/s
- Seek approval from stakeholders (service owners/management etc) via email
- Incorporate changes to proposed time if necessary, repeat step 2 until..
- Now everyone is happy with the time, send out a notification via email of the time, ask
- Staff who care about when the box is going down manually add it to their calendars
- some stakeholders
- the staff doing the work
- Do the actual work
Is there an OSS project that we could use to automate this process? My googling has been fruitless so far. Will we need to build something ourselves? Would anyone else be interested in something like this?