I have worked a few different places, each one with a different solution, so I would like to hear your suggestions and ideas.
I am looking at a situation with multiple server-rooms. We have a mixture of copper (both ethernet and telephone), multi-mode fibre and single-mode fibre. We have all types of connectors: RJ-11, RJ-45, LC, SC, FC, SMA and several I probably forgot about. We have a lot of people working in the area, and keeping track of cables is turning into a full time job.
So, here are a the questions:
- What types and lengths of cable do you keep in stock on site?
- Do you make your own or buy pre-made?
- Adapters? Dampeners?
- How do you manage cable inventory?
- How do you label the cables?
- Any other tricks to stop this from driving me crazy?