I own an Apple Macbook Pro laptop with 64-bit OS X 10.11 "El Capitan"
running Samba 3 that I installed through Macports.
I also own a Dell Inspiron laptop with 64-bit GNU/Linux XUbuntu 14.04
"Trusty Tahr" running Samba 3 that I installed through APT.
Both machines have network-shared folders and use Samba in order to communicate on my WLAN (wireless LAN).
Both my systems are in Brazilian Portuguese. Thus, I use special characters such as ç, á, ã, â, ô, é, ó et cetera.
When I use my Linux laptop to access my OS X Samba shares, all strings are shown correctly: words like maçã, ônus and bênção are shown correctly. Files and folders with long names are also shown, and their names are shown correctly. Thus, I'm assuming that the Samba server running on OS X is already properly configured...
...but things aren't working the other way around: if I use the Finder app on OS X to access my Linux Samba shares, all files and folders having at least one of those special characters are not shown (they remain invisible to me). And the long names of files and folders are converted in weird short names. Thus, there's something wrong with the Samba server running on my Linux machine.
=> In my case, what solved this issue was adding the following lines to the
[global] section inside the
smb.conf file on my Linux machine:
mangled names = no
dos charset = CP850
unix charset = UTF-8
- In GNU/Linux systems, the standard location of the
smb.conf file is
- In Samba 3+, the
display charset parameter is deprecated.
dos charset parameter does not support the
UTF-8 argument, thus it must be used the default argument
After that, I restarted the Linux Samba server:
sudo service smbd restart
...and then the Finder app on OS X finally showed correctly all the files and folders that were previously hidden because of their names having one or more special characters. The mangled names were also "unmangled".