I'm trying to wrap my head around Pylons and how it works. So far... it's been confusing... I'm using EC2 with Fedora8. Everything is working so far (i.e. I have Pylons/python et al installed and after creating a test app and running paster serve I can access the default page via my domain name).
As the Pylons docs explain and as I understand, the built in paster serve server is not suited for a production environment. What I am not clear on, then, is what to do next... It seems like nginx is a good option, but I am more familiar with Apache (like .0002%). I plan on having virtualhosts (which nginx says can accomodate). However, I am totally unclear on how the big picture is supposed to work.
- In order to serve an app, does paster serve need to be running?
- Does then nginx/apache basically just act as a proxy to shuttle connections to the paster server?
- How do I start it so it doesn't terminate after closing the ssh connection?
- If running multiple apps, what do I set as the host/port in development.ini to differentiate the apps? Or if this is not the right way, how do I differentiate beween apps?
- I am more familiar with MySQL, but willing to negotiate PostgreSQL if it's a better fit. Is it?
- Is virtualenv a prerequisite to running multiple apps on the same machine?
Thanks in advance for any tips.