These requirements are sketchy at the moment, but will appreciate any insights. We are exploring what would be required to build a system that can handle 50 database million queries a day - specifiically from the programming language and database choice
Its not a typical website, but an API / database accessing through the internet. Speed is critical. The application will primarily receive these inputs (about a few kb each) and will have to address each of them via the database lookup. Only a few kb will be returned.
The server will be run over https/ssl.
* yes, there will be a couple of thousand inserts as well. dont have an insight into that yet, but lets say 10-50,000 / day.
* There may be updates also, but lets not complicate the problem yet
* no, it wont be evenly spread durimg the day. as typical, during office / waking hours, load will be higher? perhaps following a normal curve - dont know yet.
* database size will be 1.5 billion entries.
* the client ends wont send sql queries, but a number to retrieve the database entry of.