Take the 2-minute tour ×
Server Fault is a question and answer site for professional system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

We use Cpanel/WHM and have just used EasyApache to upgrade to Apache 2.2 and PhP 5.3.2

As a result of the upgrade process, the user "Nobody" who runs php can no longer access directories or create directories in the various owners web directories. For instance, with Word Press we can no longer upload images.

We have tried rebuilding with SuEXEC on and off, SuPHP on and off and nothing makes any difference.

It feels as if the user "Nobody" has got its permissions messed up, but that is a wild guess.

How can we get back to where we started which is, I assume, that "Nobody" had the rights to the file systems in the web directories?

share|improve this question
    
Note: If I do a whoami command in a user directory, the answer comes back as "nobody" Note2: We dont share the server with anyone else - this is not hundreds of virtual sites or anything like that. The situation before could have been that JoeBloggs (the web directory owner) was running Php, but I have no way of checking that now. What a mess! hehe –  Anonymous Mar 30 '10 at 9:12

1 Answer 1

Look there is several ways in which php may work

  1. Apachwe module. In this case php work as a user like web-server (nobody) / this one less secure. You need make folders USER:nobody with 775\770 or USER:USER with 777 for scripts to write on this directory
  2. SuEXEC. In this case php work as user (USER:USER) / more secure/ in this case you must set USER:USER and 755 on folders \ 644 on files. and all will be ok (other r-x for directory need for Web-server to access files)
  3. cgi like previous

it's better to fix privileges and use SuEXEC. Or rebuild apache without suexec and cgi, but apache module

share|improve this answer
    
Okay - to make a guess I would say that number 2 must have been as it was pre-upgrade. However, we tried rebuilding with both suphp and suexec in various combinations and we still got the same problem. –  Anonymous Mar 30 '10 at 11:58
    
okay, solved it - and thanks, your answer had the clue! What we had not noticed is that following the upgrade, php had gone from cgi to dso - I have no idea whether this was because we upgraded the php version and the apache version all in one go or what. Having changed the php to cgi we are now back to happy normality! Thanks –  Anonymous Mar 30 '10 at 12:04

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.