I'm wondering what's the best option for me if I want to move all my hosted websites (from a hosting company) to a server at my own home? Basically, the needs I have are:
- be able to host websites using PHP/ASP.NET (haven't really decided yet - both would be preferred!)
- enable FTP so I can create accounts for my family members to access the server for file handling
- SSL - for secure connections (this is something you have to buy/apply for per domain, not sure if there are any server side settings that have to be made)
- be able to stream video
- remote desktop
- host home-brew applications that can run as services
- use either MySQl/SQLite/SQL for relational database storage
What should I think of before I buy a server? What hardware will I need, what will limit my server? I basically want to learn networking better as I'm a software and web developer but haven't had the resources to acquire any serious toys until now. At the time of writing, most of my websites have 60 visits/day so I don't suspect them to be very demanding.
Is there something I haven't thought of that I should have?
What OS would you suggest I run? FreeBSD vs Windows Server vs ?