I apologize ahead of time, I know this has been asked before, but I'm still having problems...maybe you guys can help. I started out with the basic instructions from the highest-voted answer at http://serverfault.com/questions/41572/adding-a-second-wireless-router-to-my-network
The new Wireless router in question is a Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router, Model # WRT310N
Here are the steps I've taken in setting it up:
- Plug my laptop into LAN port #2 in the new router. Nothing else is connected at this point
- Configure the new router to be 192.168.1.200 (the original router is 192.168.1.1, and its DHCP clients are from 192.168.1.100-x.x.x.199)
- Set the internet connection on the new router to "DHCP Client"
- Turn off the DHCP server & NAT routing on the new router
- Plug in a LAN cable from the original router into the LAN port #1 on the new router (NOT the WAN port, nothing is plugged in there)
- Reset the new router
Afterwards, I try to ping 192.168.1.1 from the laptop plugged into LAN port #2 on the new router, with no response. 192.168.1.200 garners no response either. Typing "ipconfig" tells me:
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.198.113
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: 169.254.198.113
What's going wrong? I appreciate any help!