Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is it possible to modify the entries in the cached lookup? I need to temporarily change the resolution of an IP address of a domain name to something else. I can't wait until DNS updates.

Sorry, forgot to mention that the interface of the server has DNS set to itself. DNS server is running.

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Create an authoritative zone in your Windows 2003 DNS with the copy of the updated zone.

This is a common practice (for instance) to rewrite the company's web IP address or to block a site.

share|improve this answer
i thought that you're not supposed to make an authoritive zone for domains that you do not own/manage. – Mike Apr 8 '10 at 4:43
In your own network you do whatever you want! :) – lrosa Apr 8 '10 at 4:59
I would do it absolutely the same way. – Dmitry Trukhanov Apr 8 '10 at 5:20
Thanks guys that worked – Mike Apr 8 '10 at 5:25
Good! Nice to be helpful! – lrosa Apr 8 '10 at 5:34

You can edit the hosts file (under c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc) to put an IP and hostname combination which will override the DNS resolver. Just remember to remove the entry when you're done to avoid any confusion in the future.

share|improve this answer
I've done that... but it still resolves the address to the other IP – Mike Apr 8 '10 at 4:30
Did you flush the local DNS cache? ipconfig -flushdns – Justin Scott Apr 8 '10 at 4:32
Yes, I have flushed the DNS cache. Still resolving the old IP – Mike Apr 8 '10 at 4:37
The .../etc/hosts file is used by local (e.g. the machine in with the file is) resolver. The DNS server does not read the .../etc/hosts file when does name resolutions for clients – lrosa Apr 8 '10 at 5:08
It works only for server itself, not for clients. – Dmitry Trukhanov Apr 8 '10 at 5:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.