I have a few questions about a test development environment that I’m setting up on this server:
- Intel Core i7-920 Quadcode incl. Hyper Threading
- 8 GB DDR3 RAM (triple-channel)
- 2x 750 GB SATA-II (probably software RAID 1)
The server is going to support max 5 users, maybe 10 when stressed. I was hoping that I could run all the following products on the same server:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 w/ IIS
- SQL Server 2008 x64 (R2 when released)
- Team Foundation Server 2010
- Sharepoint Foundation 2010
I know this sounds overkill, but remember that this is for development purpose and testing. This is not a production environment. My question if this will be possible at all?
Should I run it all on one Windows 2008 installation, or should I run it in multiple virtual environments using Hyper-V?
What do you think?
Edit 1: About the processor. What version of Windows Server 2008 should I run? Standard supports 4 CPU's, but how will the OS count my processor? Core i7 has 4 cores and with hyper-threading, will it count as 8 cores? Or will the OS see my Core i7 as one CPU?
So, Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard or Enterprise?