I'm looking for a product recommendation (open or commercial) that will allow remote access to customer sites for tech support purposes. We need to be able to gain access to help troubleshoot problems on servers. Currently end up using anything from RDP on public IP, to various VPNs that clients happen to have, to webex-type sessions that require lots of interaction from both sides to get things working. This often means a problem that could take 10 minutes to solve takes an extra 30+ minutes messing around trying to get a connection up.
There are multiple customer sites, which should NOT have access to each other. At each site, there is anywhere from 1 to 8 servers (Windows 2003 or 2008) that need to be accessed.
- Support connection to machines even if they're behind a firewall/router with no public IP
- Be able to selectively allow/deny access from customer site.
- Ability to be "always on", so client doesn't have to do anything (unless they're using the allow/deny option) to allow connection
- Customer site should not be able to connect outbound to anywhere else (our systems, or other customer sites)
- Support multiple users from our end
- If not a VPN connection (where RDP could be used over top), should support:
- Remote desktop access, including copy/paste
- File transfers
- Preferably would have some way to list all remote systems, showing online/offline.
Anyone have any suggestions?