Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I setup an wireless AP (linksys wifi router) to have no dhcp and point to the main router as the default gateway.

I also set it up to obtain a ip from the network

but when i go to my main router and look for it i don't see any ip's that it could be

If i use net stumbler i can see the mac address of the wifi portion of it but Im at a loss how to get into the web console of this router

any ideas on how to "find" this router?

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted
  1. Get the MAC of the AP (should be printed on the bottom of the unit)
  2. Plug directly in to AP and run ipscan making sure to add the MAC column under Options > Select Columns
share|improve this answer
the version of ipscan from that website comes up as a virus "… – Crash893 Apr 29 '10 at 17:23
It may come up as a threat because its a scanning tool, I assure you it is safe. Which one did you try to get, the beta, or stable? They specify possible warnings with the older version... – DanBig Apr 29 '10 at 17:34
okay the mac is 00-1c-10-8e-b5-3e but that doesnt show up in the scan. Again the catch 22 is that the scaner will only scan things that have an ip but i dont think that this device does some how. even though i can connect to it and get web pages – Crash893 Apr 29 '10 at 17:40
At this point, reset it and start over. Unless this thing is actually doing anything, diminishing returns are kicking in. – DanBig Apr 29 '10 at 19:20
Also, with something like an AP, i would also recommend giving it a static IP, and labeling the box. – DanBig Apr 29 '10 at 19:29

Is it possible to reset the WiFi router and then connect to the default IP, typically,

share|improve this answer

I can't tell if you did this or not, but plug the "LAN" side into the rest of your wired network instead of the "WAN" side.

This is also called "bridge" mode.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.