You definitely need mod-wsgi.
mod-wsgi is developed by the same brains that made mod-python many years ago. mod-wsgi is now recommended over mod-python for all modern app frameworks, including django.
Basically, mod-wsgi has two modes of operation: embedded (fastest - kind of like mod-python only faster) or daemon (kind of like fast-cgi).
In daemon mode, it is preferable to fast-cgi because:
- it doesn't require any additional moving parts (like flup)
- you don't need to stop and start the python interpreters, it's taken care of by mod-wsgi.
In embedded mode, it is preferable to mod-python because:
- Development of mod-python has ceased in favor of mod-wsgi
- mod-wsgi will eventually support python 3k.
- mod-wsgi is faster than mod-python
Here's the documentation: http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/IntegrationWithDjango