We just replaced a fifty-year-old print server and are attempting to use HP Universal Print Driver (per their engineers' suggestion) for all of our printers (the PCL 5 4.7 version). We thought this would solve some printing problems.
However, this is not working out. We have tens of users complaining that they can't print, and they're reporting multiple issues:
- Printers that are supposed to be supported are reporting "not a supported HP device."
- Multiple people have received the "application error" dialog with an 0x error code and a debug button. (I'm trying to dig up more info on this.)
- People report a "Printer error: ENUM printer failed" dialog.
We are finding that restarting the spooler service and/or reinstalling the printer objects on these machines will resolve the problem temporarily, but they soon die again.
We have experimented with loosening permissions on the printer objects on the server but that seems to have no effect.
I tried to add a printer NOT using the Universal driver, and I'm getting this error on the server side:
And this when trying to get properties on a specific printer.
I'm starting to think there's something more going on here than a bad driver - corruption in the server install?
- Experience using the HP "Universal" driver in an enterprise with ~100 printers
- Suggestions for print server troubleshooting that have worked for you?