Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Can you help me with my software licensing question?

We just migrated our email system to Google Apps. Many users still prefer to use Outlook and we're quite happy with the new Sync Tool from Google. Legally wise, is it necessary to have Client Access License for each user ?

Thanks for your advice.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Scott Pack, voretaq7 Feb 11 '12 at 3:29

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

up vote 0 down vote accepted

What CAL are you referring to? Clearly if the users are still connecting up to a Windows domain/file server then a Windows CAL will still be needed. If you've migrated from an Exchange system then you'll no longer need the Exchange CALs if you're not using any of its features.

As TomTom says though - you'll still need to have the base Windows OS licence on each machine as well as an Outlook licence.

share|improve this answer
Each user has: 1 windows server CAL (ie, for connecting to the file server) 1 MS windows XP license 1 MS Office license So I guess this is enough ! I was referring to the Exchange CAL. – Jonathan May 10 '10 at 5:55

No, you do not need a CAL. WHat you do need is:

  • Obviously a valid WIndows license ;)

  • a license for Outlook, which you most likely have as part of some office packet.

share|improve this answer
I do have those ones :) Thanks ! – Jonathan May 10 '10 at 5:53
Then you are done already. Nothing else needed. – TomTom May 10 '10 at 6:38

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.