I've been using the hosts file to for local website development, and it's recently stopped working. No entries other than localhost resolve.
I've simplified to test, so it now contains only
127.0.0.1 localhost ::1 localhost 127.0.0.1 test.dev
localhost responds to ping, test.dev does not.
- The file is called
hostswith no extension
- It has no trailing spaces
- It's saved in C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc which matches the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DataBasePath
- Oddly, despite UAC being on, I can edit, delete and save the file without admin permissions
- No proxy is being used, PC is not connected to network for testing
- Stopping the DNS Client service seemed to resolve the issue for a few minutes, test.dev briefly resolved but doesn't any more.
- Only firewall is Windows'
- Machine has been restarted.
Is there anything else I should try?