I might be over complicating this but...I am hosting several websites and dns for the domains on a single server:
I have three items which I'm trying to work out whether to achieve by DNS, by IIS hostnames(bindings), or by IIS redirect.
1. Where I have domain1.net and domain1.com, I want everything from both (all emails and web requests) to just point to the domain1.net. Can I do this at the DNS level, or do I have to set up the email as forwarders on the email server and the domain as a hostname in IIS? For example:
- email@example.com > firstname.lastname@example.org
- www.domain1.com > www.domain1.net
2. I want to make sure that requests for domain1.net and www.domain1.net both resolve to the same place. Should this be done with DNS or with multiple hostnames, or with IIS redirects?
3. If I then want to have one webmail site serving all of domains (webmail.domain1.net, webmail.domain2.net), is it best to this with a cname in DNS or with host headers in IIS?