I have a W2K3 Server that is the Domain Controller and also the DNS server. I wanted to make another DNS zone on my network called "something.local" and then make 'A' records to point requests like 'admin.something.local' and 'www.something.local' to machines on my network.
I keep getting DNS timeouts but then after 2 tries it succeeds. Why would this happen? How can I troubleshoot?
From my desktop I run:
Server: server.domain.com.au.local Address: 192.168.0.10 DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. Name: admin.something.local Address: 192.168.0.191
If I go back the other way:
Server: server.domain.com.au.local Address: 192.168.0.10 Name: admin.something.local Address: 192.168.0.191
- My DNS server address is 192.168.0.10.
- The new DNS zone is not hooked up to active directory.
- I do not have much experience with DNS.
- Yesterday it was working fine.
- I have tried doing an 'ipconfig /flushdns' on both my desktop and the DNS server