Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

server#1 hosts content.

If I want to map a different IP on another server to would I use a CNAME record for this?

Or is a cname only for ?

share|improve this question

migrated from May 25 '10 at 4:02

This question came from our site for computer enthusiasts and power users.

up vote 5 down vote accepted

A CNAME (and anything related to domain names) only covers the part up to the first slash.

In order to host on a different IP, you'll need to do some sort of proxying on the web server that handles It'll be quite a bit easier to use instead, if that's feasible.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.