Linux admins usually split their hard-drives into partitions for /usr space, os space and whole other kinds of swapness. I know windows7 requires 20GB at least for the OS to be installed. What is the best way to partition a single 1TB hard-drive (if any) when using a Windows 7 os?
I have 4GB of ram btw. I am running Windows 7 64bit.
My space requirements are approximately:
- 20-100gb for my documents, programming projects etc...
- about 40gb for all the software (non-games) i will ever install
- 50gb for games
A few questions come to mind:
- Do i need a swap partition? (i.e. 8gb)
- Should i create a separate partition for backups? Or just dump my backups to external USB?
- How much space should my main OS take-up and should I account for things like application data that will get stored on that partition?