Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to get a certificate from VeriSign to use in FileZilla (FTPS, FTP over SSL), to get the certificate, Verisign asks for a CSR file, FileZilla doesn't seem to have a way to generate those CSR files; how would I go about generating this file that VeriSign needs so they can issue a certificate that I can use in FileZilla?

share|improve this question
Are you looking for a client certificate or a server certificate? "FileZilla" doesn't use certificates per-se, the FTPS protocol does, so if you're hosting an FTPS server, then it's your FTPS daemon that needs the certificate, not FileZilla. Your question here… seems to get it correct – Mark Henderson Jun 15 '10 at 23:28
server certificate, FileZilla does have the option to import the certificate, and you can generate one too, but I need it from a CA, and for that I need the CSR – BlackTigerX Jun 15 '10 at 23:45

You will need to use something like openssl to generate a Certificate Signing Request. It is not too difficult to do and there are plenty of instructions on how to do it on the internet.

openssl genrsa -out host.key 2048
openssl req -new -nodes -key host.key -out host.csr

Or something to that affect.

share|improve this answer
+1, Google: – Chris S Jun 16 '10 at 2:53
IIS has a tool to generate CSRs, could I use that? FileZilla only needs the certificate, doesn't care about the CSR, that makes me think it would work, but I'd like to know for sure – BlackTigerX Jun 16 '10 at 20:09
After the certificate is generated, you would only need the certificate itself and the private key. The CSR itself is not needed. – sybreon Jun 18 '10 at 17:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.