Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Where are they located?

Using windows 2008 server/ IIS 7

I am getting a 500 error and would like to know if there is any other place other than Event Viewer that can shed some info, such as IIS error logs. Currently all I can find is access logs - in the inetpub folder

share|improve this question

If you make the request locally you'll get more detailed error messages.

You can also enable Failed Request Trace logs by going to Start>Run>Server Manager, Roles, Web Server(IIS), Add Role Services then check Web Server\Health and Diagnostics\Tracing. You'll need to enable this per-site by right-clicking on your site in inetmgr and then Failed Request Tracing. By default these logs will appear in %systemdrive%\inetpub\logs\FailedReqLogFiles\W3SVC<ID>

share|improve this answer
+ c:\windows\system32\logfiles\httperr – commandbreak Jun 21 '10 at 22:58
+1 for mentioning FRT – Dominic D Jun 22 '10 at 17:34
Don't forget to check the Windows Application Event Log too! – Eric Falsken Jan 21 '12 at 7:41

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.