I'm a dev new to sysadmin, armed with root access to a linux box. I want to practice a bit on the configuration in a local virtual machine.
What setup would I need to do this?
My current idea is:
- Export server file system as an image
- Transfer image to local system
- Load image on a vm
I suspect I'm missing something, but I wanted to see if the community had any guidance so I don't brick the systems!
Thanks, as always.
Update (Things I'm working on):
sshfs user@host:/remote/path /local/path
- next: dd (but it's giving me problems b/c /local/path is a directory and not a device.
- similar to this ServerFault post, but mine is remote, and I need to get it to a virtualbox-readable format.
- is this even possible? I shouldn't be able to unmount the partition to back it up. So there should be files which I simply cannot back up. This makes my task futile, no?