I currently use hostgator but want to move to hosting on site, not through a third party. Can someone who's familiar with HostGator or hosting in general help me wrap my head around what needs to be done.
- I have a new box, *nux not even installed yet
- I know they use cpanel, email, etc. all of which are features I use.
- What would be the list of steps I'd need to follow to get a system up and running that's similar to theirs.
- Are there packages that could install several of their features at once?
- Would I need to install FTP, mail, etc. each package individually
- No features to sell hosting to others would be needed.
- Would I need WHM (web hosting manager) or not since I'm not selling hosting?
Any information to help me understand what I'm trying to do would be appreciated.
Edit: Since the cPanel license costs $500/year, I'm considering an open source alternative for now, something like ISPconfig, though I know very little about it and haven't tried it so can't compare it to cPanel.