Does a website using a database, need to be shut down when a backup is being made? (assuming you are not using replication)?
Apologies about the brevity of the question. I have provided more details below:
- OS: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04 LTS)
- web application framework: Symfony (PHP web framework)
- databases: mysql (v5.1) AND postgresql (v 8.4)
Additional files that need to be backed up:
- configuration files (php.ini, httpd.conf etc)
- data files in specific folders
- cron jobs (bash scripts, PHP scripts, Python scripts, Ruby scripts)
more specific information that may be relevant:
I am running the site on a private virtual server (so I have root access), on a machine hosted on Linode.