I'm setting up SNI on an apache server and I thought things were going well. I have two URLs from different domains that point at the same site. I have one virtual host setup for each with the appropriate certificate for each. One of the certificates is valid but the other is self-signed (waiting on GoDaddy for the real cert).
If I test the different URLs in Firefox, Safari and Opera all works well. I get no errors for the URL with the valid certificate and I get a self-signed warning for the other. However, in Internet Explorer 8 and Google Chrome, both URLs return the valid certificate (even if its not valid for the specific site). So for the one site, I get a valid certificate. For the other, I get a warning about the cert being for a different site. I tried switching the order of the vhosts and it made no difference. I know that Chrome and IE both use Window's HTTP stack so I understand why the behavior is the same for the two. What I don't understand is why I'm seeing this behavior.