I'm planning to get my Windows Server 2003 box to boot up using Wake on LAN (WOL), and have a few questions before diving in:
- Is WOL a feature of Windows, or of the BIOS and network card, or both?
- The Server 2003 box is connected to the switch/router via Ethernet, however, there are laptops that are connected only via wireless. Will these laptops be able to wake the server?
- Are there any specific tools I need to enable WOL. From what I understand, there should be something to configure on the server, and some utility on the client side to send the WOL packet.
- Is it possible to use WOL accross the internet, or accross a VPN (where the VPN is independant of Windows Server?
- The big question - how do I do it?