We have an internet site containing a "hello world" .html file on IIS7 with Windows authentication turned on. The users are local machine Windows users on the web-server. For some users the site is very slow. Using fiddler2, I've tracked it down to a 15 second delay between the browser connecting and the browser beginning the initial GET request:
ACTUAL PERFORMANCE -------------- ClientConnected: 15:28:09.737 ClientBeginRequest: 15:28:24.750 ClientDoneRequest: 15:28:24.750 ...
The site then responds with a HTTP 401, the browser responds immediately with a second GET request (presumably with the relevant authentication token) that comes back with a HTTP 200 straight away.
The issue happens regardless of which machine I access it from. The issue only occurs in IE though (v6 - v8), Firefox and Chrome work fine.
On my machine, using the IP address of the site rather than the DNS name solves the issue, that does not solve the issue for everyone else though.
I have tried making the config change on this article, it didn't fix it.