The (common) question:
- How can one access network share on workgroup computer?
usually has the (common) answer:
- One should add ("the same") local account with the same username and password on all interacting (accessing) computers
Don't all Windows have the common built-in users and groups accounts of Well-Known Security Identifiers?
Cannot these built-in accounts be used for this?
Edit1 (Added later) on domain context:
Let's say that I want to share files from workgroup computer.
(1) to workgroup computers.
(2) to joined to domain computers.
Is there any difference between (1) and (2)?
If there is no difference, then it is better to avoid deviating the discussion/consideration to domain computers.
Edit2 (Added later) on security:
Workgroup computers lack security at large.
With adding of accounts or without.
I do not see any change in security additions from adding accounts.
So, the question is: WHY to add accounts?
Edit3 (Further Questions), 8/4/2010:
Ok, I simply do not have space in comments.
I did not quite understand "only one Domain acount for all machines in the Domain".
The question is about sharing files on workgroup computer and accessing them from workgroup computers (aka non-joined-to-domain computers which cannot be part of domain as soon as they are in workgroup).
1) Is it possible to share files in workgroup (aka non-joined-to-domain) computer with domain (or LDAP, or ADAM) account?
2) Is it possible to access shared with domain account permissions files from workgroup (non-joined-to-domain) computer (again, using domain account)?
I asked it earlier in other forums and I understood thу possibility as negative/impossible
It happened that I cannot mark more than 1 answer and I really do care more about my own understanding + practical conveniencies than stating to the world what is correct or wrong (answer and attitudes). That should ne simple for sysadmins, having access to resources (including domain administration), but I am developer, i.e. contaxt is workgroup (in order to fully administrate) + access to domain (in which I have NO access to administration).
I also understood your answer 2) to my Edit3 as possibility of file/folder sharing from workgroup computer to domain accounts by creating on workgroup computer the users coinciding by username+password with those of domain users.