I have a Windows 2008 VPS with EUKHosts and I am having issues where the server will occasionally crash, not enabling me to RDP in and restart it. To resolve the issue I have to contact my ISP and get them to do it their end (thankfully they offer 247 online chat support)
When this happens their support seem to think it’s to do with my site maxing out the available RAM. I find this hard to believe for 2 reasons.
- I have never seen in task manager -> Process, the w3wp.exe taking more than 50,000 k. My VPS has 640MB of available ram.
- When the server crashed I cannot even ping it, it’s always 100% loss.
I have checked the event viewer and around the time the server crashed I get this error
“Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 7.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x47919413, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a7a6, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000b015d, process id 0xce0, application start time 0x01cb36db93dc57e0.” – the Event ID is always 1000
I don’t know if this is the cause of the error.
So my questions are...
- Would the server’s RAM being maxed out cause a crash where i could not ping or RDP in ?
- Is the error above a probable cause of the issue im having.
- Can anyone suggest a log I can view that will provide me information in regard to this issue.
As a temporary measure im thinking of adding a task to that event, with ID 1000 so when it occurs it will restart the server. Is this recommended ??
Any help as always is most appreciated