This is the scenario. I have a local server in the office that I want to back up programmatically (via a bash script) everyday to an external hard disk that I will bring home.
The data in the hard disk must be encrypted.
I can see three viable solutions for that and I am here to ask your opinions about which one will work best for my case.
solution 1: encrypt each and every file via the backup script before copying it on the hard disk
solution 2: encrypt the entire volume on the HD
solution 3: buy an external hard drive that offers hardware encryption
My goals are:
* the solution should be easy to implement
* I need to be able to copy the entire backup to HD without human intervention (only using a script)
* I need to be able to read the backup on the HD programmatically (there shouldn't be any human entering the password)
* decrypting the files should be fairly quick
* the backup written on HD must be as reliable as possible
Thanks in advance, Daniele