Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Can you help me with my software licensing question?

We are thinking using the built-in Windows Server VPN and use Active Directory to authenticate users. Do we need CALs to be in compliance?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Iain Jan 27 '12 at 18:04

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Provided that you have enough user cal's for the number of users you have, you are in compliance. You can check this by checking licensing under server manager.

share|improve this answer
So do we need a CAL for each user in AD? – Dan McClain Aug 16 '10 at 13:03
@phsr - Either enough for each user, or for each machine depending on how you set up your licensing. – MDMarra Aug 16 '10 at 13:21
@phsr - Users in terms of User CALs relate to human beings; if you create a user account for a service to use, or create a second account for the same person, then you don't need another CAL. I use our payroll for CAL compliance. – Richard Gadsden Aug 27 '10 at 15:36

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.