We're currently rolling out new PCs with Windows 7 Pro. While setting up the despatch company software on a new Windows 7 machine for the warehouse I came across an oddity that I have never struck before. The executable was named
despatch.exe and whenever I tried to run it as a user it would prompt for an admin logon.
After a lot of stuffing about I discovered that by simply renaming the file it would run fine for the same user account. As
despatch.exe the file's icon had a shield on it. After renaming it the shield disappeared. It also made no difference whether the file was located on a network share or on the local machine. On Win XP and Server 2003 the file works and looks the same either way.
Has anyone come across other "protected" filenames such as this that might cause us problems with Windows 7. I've tried Googling for this information but have not yet found anything relevant. The last thing I want to do is give users elevated privileges to work around such issues.