I've been asked to doc what I think should be the breakdown of roles and responsibilities for our production system hosting the companies web application. This is partially so we an start to assign responsibility a bit more formally and so we can avoid things not slipping through the 'I thought you did that' gap. So...
I thought I'd ask you lot what you think they should be.
As evidence of some work on my part this is an overview of my current thinking. Each line is a separate role/responsibility. Although one person may have one or more roles if one role is split across multiple people it'd be reasonable to have one main point of contact for it.
- OS etc installed on new machines
- Network setup
- Software installed as part of our service (Tomcat etc)
- Installing/configuring our software
- Troubleshooting/incident investigation (may call on others with specialist knowledge)
- Monitoring, ie installing a configuring monitoring software to support others in their roles
- Capacity planning
- Overall responsibility, the guy with his nuts on the black as they say
There are various cross cutting responsibilities I guess (ie security) which perhaps are coordinated by someone responsible even if the work is done by several people.
Any thoughts, additions, removals or tweakings of the above. I freely admit to be somewhere outside my sphere of expertise on this stuff.