Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Apparently, whenever I attach a database in SQL Server 2008 R2, it has the database physical version number increased to 660. Is there anything I can do to prevent this behaviour?

I have to share database files with SQL Server 2008 ("plain") users and our webserver has also not yet been upgraded to R2.

I accidentally got R2 on my machine without noticing during install and I don't feel much like uninstalling R2, re-installing 2008 and then re-attaching all my databases (which would be impossible anyway, so I'd have to script them, cross my fingers and hoping nothing goes wrong).

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

How do you accidentally get a new version of SQL Server on your machine?

There isn't a way to do what you're asking. This is by design. You also won't be able to attach those DBs created with R2 in prior versions of SQL Server...yes, even 2008 non R2.

share|improve this answer
I downloaded R2 from MSDN instead of 2008. I didn't notice the difference at the time. That sucks, I had hoped there was a registry key or something. – sebastiaan Aug 26 '10 at 14:04
Hey, you can't accidentally install a new software version. You really should know what you're doing. – Massimo Nov 12 '10 at 3:31

Even if you replaced all the system and user databases with 2008 versions, you would still have an incompatibility between those and your executables. Uninstall/ Reinstall of SQL and either revert to your old backups (you do have backups dont you?!) or use scripts and bulk load data out in to new (ensure you script out and bulk out before uninstalling first!)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.